Thursday, June 3, 2010

Chase It Down


You don't run from your future, you run towards it.

Sometimes facing the inevitability of our future is scary; so we avoid it by holding on to our present - anything that may provide comfort. We fight change, or more importantly we make decisions to avoid our destined outcome. We seek solace in the things we feel we can control. All of that present comfort prolongs the joy that lies waiting for us.

I was reminded lately how we continually prioritize people and things in our life ahead of our creator. Personally I find myself reaching for God, but I'm stuck in the realm of worldly perspective. I continue to prioritize relationships and activity above my creator. And when those things end in a catastrophic let down - I"m drawn back to Him because I know that He will never fail me. It makes me ask the question if our faith (or at least my faith personally) has become some type of safety net. God will continue to draw us towards Him. What is unfortunate is that more often than not it takes pain to get our attention. That thought alone creates within me a deep sadness. In this world so dominated by status - how can we continually remind ourselves that God's grace alone is enough?

In the book Radical by David Platt, he points out early in the book that we are molding Jesus into our image... Platt describes this as:

"A nice, middle-class, American Jesus. A Jesus who doesn't mind materialism, and who would never call us to give away everything we have. A Jesus who would not expect us to forsake our closest relationships so that he receives all our affection. A Jesus who is fine with nominal devotion that does not infringe on our comforts, because, after all, he loves us just the way we are. A Jesus who wants us to be balanced, who wants us to avoid dangerous extremes, and who, for that matter, wants us to avoid danger al together. A Jesus who brings us comfort and prosperity as we live out our Christian spin on the American Dream."

I don't point this out because I'm looking at others, but that I'm looking in the mirror. I'm not pointing fingers, but to stand up in recognition of my actions... not just my beliefs. I've always said that becoming a christian was the single most difficult decision I could have made. The reward makes it easy, but it is the commitment that is required that makes it so challenging. Which is exactly why fighting the present is so damn hard. We are creatures of comfort. We seek solace in areas of this world that create distance from our creator. And we fight like hell to remain in a state best described as average. We aren't unhappy enough with our life to change, but we're not truly filled with joy... so we fight and struggle and claw to get ahead - which seems to look a lot like keeping up with our neighbor.

God is holding something wonderful, more than can be imagined. Running from that future is not the solution. If we are to find true joy, it is going to take more than just being comfortable and hiding in the present. It is going to require that we run, no, we need to chase our future down, because what God has prepared for us lies waiting. And what lies waiting cannot be measured in our own worldly terms!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing how God gives us fellow Christians? I have had numerous, some painful, discussions over the past week about how one is most truly filled with joy, peace, and ever-flowing love by answering to God first and foremost. The most painful times in my life can be traced down to times that I put my trust in the counsel of a person, rather than God (not to blame others- they meant well - it was my decison not to immediately seek God's counsel). That doesn't mean that our lives are "perfect," but that we are truly focused on God and His truth, and what could be better than that? It's certainly a process in my life. I hope to grow closer to God and following His ways up until my very last day. I am so thankful that God has placed fellow Christians in our lives to encourage us to keep focused on Him. "By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." John 13:35 One way this has been demonstrated in my life, is those who encourage me to to pray about things, rather than speaking from his/her own perspective. Thanks for that very encouragement! God is wonderful! Thanks for letting Him shine through you!

Love & hugs~

Tonya (Karol) Newsome

Anonymous said...

I know a great 11 month adventure where you can run away with the Lord--pursue Him and His heart around the world while He continues to pursue you and your heart. Are you in yet? Praying the Lord continues to draw you to Him! He loves you more than you know and is jealous for every last bit of your life and your heart! :)

Jess

gabriel timothy zeigler said...

Tunes! Oh how I miss you. In a way that doesn't follow the typical longing for someone, but more in a spiritual way. I wonder why we didn't connect through our faith more as we grew up together?!

It makes me miss those times in a way that we failed to take advantage of something greater... something more meaningful.

I still look back on the good times and smile, and when that happens, I look forward to the times where we will have another opportunity in fellowship and growth.

I have been blessed with your friendship most of my life. Thank you for your encouragement!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

gabriel timothy zeigler said...

Jess...

You are so amazing. I have been blessed countless times through your interaction and your support. I can only hope that someday, somehow I am able to return that favor.

The world race... yes it still awaits... and yes, it is still a hope... but right now I'm focusing on Rebound and I can't wait to tell you where it will take me! God keeps reminding me daily that I need to spend more time developing and creating that which drives my spirit!

I miss you and we are long overdue for a re-connection!

Moon

"Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth." - Buddha Have you ever spent much time thinking about the...