Sunday, November 12, 2006

Shepherdship

At Hope today, leadership was the topic... or rather shepherdship.

We are sheep, we are lost and confused without a shepherd. As a Christian I am akin to one of the dumbest animals known throughout history. Many of us are shepherds in our lives in the organizations we find ourselves a part of. I was forced to look into the mirror today, in how and why I choose to lead. To be a leader or shepherd is an extremely selfless endeavor. If (and this is where I think I have been challenged in the past, and I think is a natural struggle for those of us who strive for success) we choose to lead we must consistently bury our needs beneath those we are leading. If we are truly going to be a shepherd for others, being humble and giving are two qualities, I think are necessary. The moment it becomes about us, about a position, about trying to become an image or collect a paycheck is the moment where we become extremely limited in our ability to lead; especially as Christians. And when that purpose for leading is focused on our own endeavors, we negate all we've worked for and we begin to destroy the flock for which we oversee.

I cannot admit that I lead with this purpose all of the time. I can honestly say that as I have matured, my focus has remained upon those I've been asked to lead more often than not. That remains a challenge for me to continually keep others first. I must consistently put myself second or third or forth...

In a society where we preach to "take care of number one" we lose sight of any real purpose. Our focus becomes worldly, and we become victims of our own choices.

I have a friend whom amazes me. This friend works for a Christian organization where she is continually challenged and continually giving. Her approach and passion for true shepherdship is inspiring to me. I can only hope that when I look in the mirror every night, that when reflecting upon my day, I can say... I was a shepherd. I lead today by taking care of others. When that joy of giving envelopes me like a warm blanket, I need to refocus so that I will be allowed to repeat it again... knowing that God's work is never done.

I need to be a vehicle for His purpose.
I can only hope I have the courage and the strength to do so.

No comments:

Moon

"Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth." - Buddha Have you ever spent much time thinking about the...