Friday, March 27, 2009

Borrowed Time: Part Two

After a few conversations sparked by my last entry... it seems as if more was needed - or at least expanded upon.

“We are not here to be alone, we are here for community - to create relationships - to make friends, and ultimately, to lose them. The losing part is the only guarantee we have. Its up to us to make the losing worth the while. To make the time we have together a reason to live.”


Loss is the inevitable part of the equation. I think when I write, I think about how I view things, my vantage point of life. I try to understand the world through the small portal hole I’m given. I understand how small and insignificant that viewpoint is, and I challenge it. I challenge the conventionality of our actions. Of the the pitfalls I find myself and those close to me falling into.

So let me spin it this way...

There is a kind of love out there that gives you the courage to make you better than you are, not less than you are. A kind of love that makes you feel like anything is possible. I do not think this kind of love is easily found. I think if we’re patient, persistent, and purposeful, it will be discovered. It can even happen through chance... but rarely do I think it happens over the course of time. I do not think that a love like that evolves. I think it just is. I think that an evolved love develops a respectful and admirable role, I question whether an evolved love can truly, continually challenge us to be better. I think the love we develop for our children can do that. I think that, because a love like that is selfless. A kind of love modeled by Jesus... a kind of love I continually seek.

Now, the second part...

Loss is an important element of love. You can’t have loss - you can’t feel loss, if there was no love in the first place. The more you love someone in the first place, the greater the loss. All great love stories have to, by definition, end in tragedy. We have all experienced loss and the after effects of it. I point out tragedy because of all the things we don’t know, loss is certain. We worry about the “How” and the “When” but all that does is distract us from what really matters: the “now”. If we just accept that at some point things will end, and maintain our energy on the present - how wonderful our lives would be. My point in saying that loss gives us reason to live - seems, well, a bit blah. But I would rather live fully and lose fully, then sit waiting somewhere in the in-between and wonder what if.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the thoughts...and love the new blog design! Except what's with the g-spot? (shaking my head) :)

Who's dog is that? So cute!

gabriel timothy zeigler said...

Hey! Thanks. I honestly didn't think about the possible associations - but coming from a self-proclaimed "stripper" I thought you might like it :)

Miesha is my brother's pup. A pure bred american bulldog. Seriously the sweetest dog I've ever met!

Moon

"Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth." - Buddha Have you ever spent much time thinking about the...